TIP SHEET #2: Do You Feel Called Toward the Arts?
- Do you feel a connection to music where you can’t imagine being without it?
- There is nothing else you can imagine doing: no alternative
- You can express feelings in music you might not be able to express verbally
- It is a quiet friend who listens and speaks.
- Do you thrive on challenges like…
- … Learning a difficult piece and playing it well, solo or with your group?
- … Discovering something new all the time in the art form and in yourself?
- … Being really nervous but pushing through it?
- Do you have a never-ending source of inspiration?
- No matter how many times you think about it or study a piece, you discover something new
- One piece of music leads to another and another
- Your appetite for learning and for music is voracious.
- Are you compelled and completely self-motivated to practice, play, or sing?
- Your parents don’t have to nag you to practice
- You get internal, quiet satisfaction from improving
- Time flies when you play and you lose track of your worries.
- Do you retreat to music when life is complicated and difficult?
- It makes you calm and peaceful and is your place of solace it has a physiological effect on your body and mind.
Click here to read/print a PDF file version of this post.